Psalms Of David 61-65 COS

 The

Psalms Of David

In Metre

According To

The Version

Approved By

The Church Of Scotland

And Appointed To Be Used In Worship. 

Psalm 61.

   1  O God, give ear unto my cry;
         unto my pray'r attend.
   2  From th' utmost corner of the land
         my cry to thee I'll send.

      What time my heart is overwhelmed,
         and in perplexity,
      Do thou me lead unto the Rock
         that higher is than I.

   3  For thou hast for my refuge been
         a shelter by thy pow'r;
      And for defense against my foes
         thou hast been a strong tow'r.

   4  Within thy tabernacle I
         for ever will abide;
      And under covert of thy wings
         with confidence me hide.

   5  For thou the vows that I did make,
         O Lord my God, didst hear:
      Thou hast giv'n me the heritage
         of those thy name that fear.

   6  A life prolonged for many days
         thou to the king shalt give;
      Like many generations be
         the years which he shall live.

   7  He in God's presence his abode
         for evermore shall have:
      O do thou truth and mercy both
         prepare, that may him save.

   8  And so will I perpetually
         sing praise unto thy name;
      That having made my vows, I may
         each day perform the same.

Psalm 62.

   1  My soul with expectation
         depends on God indeed;
      My strength and my salvation doth
         from him alone proceed.

   2  He only my salvation is,
         and my strong rock is he:
      He only is my sure defense;
         much moved I shall not be.

   3  How long will ye against a man
         plot mischief? ye shall all
      Be slain; ye as a tott'ring fence
         shall be, and bowing wall.

   4  They only plot to cast him down
         from his excellency:
      They joy in lies; with mouth they bless,
         but they curse inwardly.

   5  My soul, wait thou with patience
         upon thy God alone;
      On him dependeth all my hope
         and expectation.

   6  He only my salvation is,
         and my strong rock is he;
      He only is my sure defense:
         I shall not moved be.

   7  In God my glory placed is,
         and my salvation sure;
      In God the rock is of my strength,
         my refuge most secure.

   8  Ye people, place your confidence
         in him continually;
      Before him pour ye out your heart:
         God is our refuge high.

   9  Surely mean men are vanity,
         and great men are a lie;
      In balance laid, they wholly are
         more light than vanity.

  10  Trust ye not in oppression,
         in robb'ry be not vain;
      On wealth set not your hearts, when as
         increased is your gain.

  11  God hath it spoken once to me,
         yea, this I heard again,
      That power to Almighty God
         alone doth appertain.

  12  Yea, mercy also unto thee
         belongs, O Lord, alone:
      For thou according to his work
         rewardest ev'ry one.

Psalm 63.

   1  Lord, thee my God, I'll early seek:
         my soul doth thirst for thee;
      My flesh longs in a dry parched land,
         wherein no waters be:

   2  That I thy power may behold,
         and brightness of thy face,
      As I have seen thee heretofore
         within thy holy place.

   3  Since better is thy love than life,
         my lips thee praise shall give.
   4  I in thy name will lift my hands,
         and bless thee while I live.

   5  Ev'n as with marrow and with fat
         my soul shall filled be;
      Then shall my mouth with joyful lips
         sing praises unto thee:

   6  When I do thee upon my bed
         remember with delight,
      And when on thee I meditate
         in watches of the night.

   7  In shadow of thy wings I'll joy;
         for thou mine help hast been.
   8   My soul thee follows hard; and me
         thy right hand doth sustain.

   9  Who seek my soul to spill shall sink
         down to earth's lowest room.
  10  They by the sword shall be cut off,
         and foxes' prey become.

  11  Yet shall the king in God rejoice,
         and each one glory shall
      That swear by him: but stopped shall be
         the mouth of liars all.

Psalm 64.

   1  When I to thee my prayer make,
         Lord, to my voice give ear;
      My life save from the enemy,
         of whom I stand in fear.

   2  Me from their secret counsel hide
         who do live wickedly;
      From insurrection of those men
         that work iniquity:

   3  Who do their tongues with malice whet,
         and make them cut like swords;
      In whose bent bows are arrows set,
         ev'n sharp and bitter words:

   4  That they may at the perfect man
         in secret aim their shot;
      Yea, suddenly they dare at him
         to shoot, and fear it not.

   5  In ill encourage they themselves,
         and their snares close do lay:
      Together conference they have;
         Who shall them see? they say.

   6  They have searched out iniquities,
         a perfect search they keep:
      Of each of them the inward thought,
         and very heart, is deep.

   7  God shall an arrow shoot at them,
         and wound them suddenly:
   8  So their own tongue shall them confound;
         all who them see shall fly.

   9  And on all men a fear shall fall,
         God's works they shall declare;
      For they shall wisely notice take
         what these his doings are.

  10  In God the righteous shall rejoice,
         and trust upon his might;
      Yea, they shall greatly glory all
         in heart that are upright.

Psalm 65.

   1  Praise waits for thee in Zion, Lord:
         to thee vows paid shall be.
   2  O thou that hearer art of pray'r,
         all flesh shall come to thee.

   3  Iniquities, I must confess,
         prevail against me do:
      But as for our transgressions,
         them purge away shalt thou.

   4  Blessed is the man whom thou dost choose,
         and mak'st approach to thee,
      That he within thy courts, O Lord,
         may still a dweller be:

      We surely shall be satisfied
         with thy abundant grace,
      And with the goodness of thy house,
         ev'n of thy holy place.

   5  O God of our salvation,
         thou, in thy righteousness,
      By fearful works unto our pray'rs
         thine answer dost express:

      Therefore the ends of all the earth,
         and those afar that be
      Upon the sea, their confidence,
         O Lord, will place in thee.

   6  Who, being girt with pow'r, sets fast
         by his great strength the hills.
   7  Who noise of seas, noise of their waves,
         and people's tumult, stills.

   8  Those in the utmost parts that dwell
         are at thy signs afraid:
      Th' outgoings of the morn and ev'n
         by thee are joyful made.

   9  The earth thou visit'st, wat'ring it;
         thou mak'st it rich to grow
      With God's full flood; thou corn prepar'st,
         when thou provid'st it so.

  10  Her rigs thou wat'rest plenteously,
         her furrows settelest:
      With show'rs thou dost her mollify,
         her spring by thee is blest.

  11  So thou the year most lib'rally
         dost with thy goodness crown;
      And all thy paths abundantly
         on us drop fatness down.

  12  They drop upon the pastures wide,
         that do in deserts lie;
      The little hills on ev'ry side
         rejoice right pleasantly.

  13  With flocks the pastures clothed be,
         the vales with corn are clad;
      And now they shout and sing to thee,
         for thou hast made them glad.

Psalms 66-70

The Psalms Of David In Metre By The Church Of Scotland

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalms Of David In Metre Introduction

The Psalms Of David In Metre Table Of Contents

Psalms Of Isaac Watts And Psalms Of David Introduction