Psalms Of David 6-10 COS

 The

Psalms Of David

In Metre

According To

The Version

Approved By

The Church Of Scotland

And Appointed To Be Used In Worship.

 Psalm 6 - First Version.

   1  Lord, in thy wrath rebuke me not;
      Nor in thy hot rage chasten me.
   2  Lord, pity me, for I am weak:
      Heal me, for my bones vexed be.

   3  My soul is also vexed sore;
      But, Lord, how long stay wilt thou make
   4  Return, O Lord, my soul set free;
      O save me, for thy mercies' sake.

   5  Because those that deceased are
      Of thee shall no remembrance have;
      And who is he that will to thee
      Give praises lying in the grave?

   6  I with my groaning weary am,
      I also all the night my bed
      Have caused for to swim; and I
      With tears my couch have watered.

   7  Mine eye, consumed with grief, grows old,
      Because of all mine enemies.
   8  Hence from me, wicked workers all;
      For God hath heard my weeping cries.

   9  God hath my supplication heard,
      My pray'r received graciously
  10  Shamed and sore vexed be all my foes,
      Shamed and back turned suddenly.

Psalm 6 - Second Version.

   1  In thy great indignation,
         O Lord, rebuke me not;
      Nor on me lay thy chast 'ning hand,
         in thy displeasure hot.

   2  Lord, I am weak, therefore on me
         have mercy, and me spare:
      Heal me, O Lord, because thou know'st
         my bones much vexed are.

   3  My soul is vexed sore: but, Lord,
          how long stay wilt thou make?
   4  Return, Lord, free my soul; and save
         me, for thy mercies' sake.

   5  Because of thee in death there shall
         no more remembrance be:
      Of those that in the grave do lie,
         who shall give thanks to thee?

   6  I with my groaning weary am,
         and all the night my bed
      I caused for to swim; with tears
         my couch I watered.

   7  By reason of my vexing grief,
         mine eye consumed is;
      It waxeth old, because of all
         that be mine enemies.

   8  But now, depart from me all ye
         that work iniquity:
      For why? the Lord hath heard my voice,
         when I did mourn and cry.

   9  Unto my supplication
         the Lord did hearing give:
      When I to him my prayer make,
         the Lord will it receive.

  10  Let all be shamed and troubled sore,
         That en'mies are to me;
      Let them turn back, and suddenly
         ashamed let them be.

Psalm 7.

   1  O Lord my God, in thee do I
         my confidence repose:
      Save and deliver me from all
         my persecuting foes;

   2  Lest that the enemy my soul
         should, like a lion, tear,
      In pieces rending it, while there
         is no deliverer.

   3  O Lord my God, if it be so
         that I committed this;
      If it be so that in my hands
         iniquity there is:

   4  If I rewarded ill to him
         that was at peace with me;
      (Yea, ev'n the man that without cause
         my foe was I did free;)

   5  Then let the foe pursue and take
         my soul, and my life thrust
      Down to the earth, and let him lay
         mine honor in the dust.

   6  Rise in thy wrath, Lord, raise thyself,
         for my foes raging be;
      And, to the judgment which thou hast
         commanded, wake for me.

   7  So shall th' assembly of thy folk
         about encompass thee:
      Thou, therefore, for their sakes, return
         unto thy place on high.

   8  The Lord he shall the people judge:
         my judge, Jehovah, be,
      After my righteousness, and mine
         integrity in me.

   9  O let the wicked's malice end;
         but stablish stedfastly
      The righteous: for the righteous God
         the hearts and reins doth try.

  10  In God, who saves th' upright in heart,
         is my defense and stay.
  11  God just men judgeth, God is wroth
         with ill men ev'ry day.

  12  If he do not return again,
         then he his sword will whet;
      His bow he hath already bent,
         and hath it ready set:

  13  He also hath for him prepared
         the instruments of death;
      Against the persecutors he
         his shafts ordained hath.

  14  Behold, he with iniquity
         doth travail, as in birth;
      A mischief he conceived hath,
         and falsehood shall bring forth.

  15  He made a pit and digged it deep,
         another there to take;
      But he is fall'n into the ditch
         which he himself did make.

  16  Upon his own head his mischief
         shall be returned home;
      His vi'lent dealing also down
         on his own pate shall come.

  17  According to his righteousness
         the Lord I'll magnify;
      And will sing praise unto the name
         of God that is most high.

Psalm 8.

   1  How excellent in all the earth,
         Lord, our Lord, is thy name!
      Who hast thy glory far advanced
         above the starry frame.

   2  From infants' and from sucklings' mouth
         thou didest strength ordain,
      For thy foes' cause, that so thou might'st
         th' avenging foe restrain.

   3  When I look up unto the heav'ns,
         which thine own fingers framed,
      Unto the moon, and to the stars,
         which were by thee ordained;

   4  Then say I, What is man, that he
         remembered is by thee?
      Or what the son of man, that thou
         so kind to him should'st be?

   5  For thou a little lower hast
         him than the angels made;
      With glory and with dignity
         thou crowned hast his head.

   6  Of thy hands' works thou mad'st him lord,
         all under's feet didst lay;
   7  All sheep and oxen, yea, and beasts
         that in the field do stray;

   8  Fowls of the air, fish of the sea,
         all that pass through the same.
   9  How excellent in all the earth,
         Lord, our Lord, is thy name!

Psalm  9.

   1  Lord, thee I'll praise with all my heart,
         thy wonders all proclaim.
   2  In thee, most High, I'll greatly joy,
         and sing unto thy name.

   3  When back my foes were turned, they fell,
         and perished at thy sight:
   4  For thou maintain'dst my right and cause;
         on throne sat'st judging right.

   5  The heathen thou rebuked hast,
         the wicked overthrown;
      Thou hast put out their names, that they
         may never more be known.

   6  O en'my! now destructions have
         an end perpetual:
      Thou cities razed; perished with them
         is their memorial.

   7  God shall endure for aye; he doth
         for judgment set his throne;
   8  In righteousness to judge the world,
         justice to give each one.

   9  God also will a refuge be
         for those that are oppressed;
      A refuge will he be in times
         of trouble to distressed.

  10  And they that know thy name, in thee
         their confidence will place:
      For thou hast not forsaken them
         that truly seek thy face.

  11  O sing ye praises to the Lord,
         that dwells in Zion hill;
      And all the nations among
         his deeds record ye still.

  12  When he enquireth after blood,
         he then rememb'reth them:
      The humble folk he not forgets
         that call upon his name.

  13  Lord, pity me; behold the grief
         which I from foes sustain;
      Ev'n thou, who from the gates of death
         dost raise me up again;

  14  That I, in Zion's daughters' gates,
         may all thy praise advance;
      And that I may rejoice always
         in thy deliverance.

  15  The heathen are sunk in the pit
         which they themselves prepared;
      And in the net which they have hid
         their own feet fast are snared.

  16  The Lord is by the judgment known
         which he himself hath wrought:
      The sinners' hands do make the snares
         wherewith themselves are caught.

  17  They who are wicked into hell
         each one shall turned be;
      And all the nations that forget
         to seek the Lord most high.

  18  For they that needy are shall not
         forgotten be alway;
      The expectation of the poor
         shall not be lost for aye.

  19  Arise, Lord, let not man prevail;
         judge heathen in thy sight:
  20  That they may know themselves but men,
         the nations, Lord, affright.

Psalm 10.

   1  Wherefore is it that thou, O Lord,
         dost stand from us afar?
      And wherefore hidest thou thyself,
         when times so troublous are?

   2  The wicked in his loftiness
         doth persecute the poor:
      In these devices they have framed
         let them be taken sure.

   3  The wicked of his heart's desire
         doth talk with boasting great;
      He blesseth him that's covetous,
         whom yet the Lord doth hate.

   4  The wicked, through his pride of face,
         on God he doth not call;
      And in the counsels of his heart
         the Lord is not at all.

   5  His ways they always grievous are;
         thy judgments from his sight
      Removed are: at all his foes
         he puffeth with despight.

   6  Within his heart he thus hath said,
         I shall not moved be;
      And no adversity at all
         shall ever come to me.

   7  His mouth with cursing, fraud, deceit,
         is filled abundantly;
      And underneath his tongue there is
         mischief and vanity.

   8  He closely sits in villages;
         he slays the innocent:
      Against the poor that pass him by
         his cruel eyes are bent.

   9  He, lion-like, lurks in his den;
         he waits the poor to take;
      And when he draws him in his net,
         his prey he doth him make.

  10  Himself he humbleth very low,
         he croucheth down withal,
      That so a multitude of poor
         may by his strong ones fall.

  11  He thus hath said within his heart,
         The Lord hath quite forgot;
      He hides his countenance, and he
         for ever sees it not.

  12  O Lord, do thou arise; O God,
         lift up thine hand on high:
      Put not the meek afflicted ones
         out of thy memory.

  13  Why is it that the wicked man
         thus doth the Lord despise?
      Because that God will it require
         he in his heart denies.

  14  Thou hast it seen; for their mischief
         and spite thou wilt repay:
      The poor commits himself to thee;
         thou art the orphan's stay.

  15  The arm break of the wicked man,
         and of the evil one;
      Do thou seek out his wickedness,
         until thou findest none.

  16  The Lord is King through ages all,
         ev'n to eternity;
      The heathen people from his land
         are perished utterly.

  17  O Lord, of those that humble are
         thou the desire didst hear;
      Thou wilt prepare their heart, and thou
         to hear wilt bend thine ear;

  18  To judge the fatherless, and those
         that are oppressed sore;
      That man, that is but sprung of earth,
         may them oppress no more.  

Psalms 11-15

The Psalms Of David In Metre By The Church Of Scotland

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalms Of David In Metre Introduction

The Psalms Of David In Metre Table Of Contents

Psalms Of Isaac Watts And Psalms Of David Introduction