Psalms Of David 56-60 COS

 The

Psalms Of David

In Metre

According To

The Version

Approved By

The Church Of Scotland

And Appointed To Be Used In Worship.

 Psalm 56.

   1  Show mercy, Lord, to me, for man
         would swallow me outright;
      He me oppresseth, while he doth
         against me daily fight.

   2  They daily would me swallow up
         that hate me spitefully;
      For they be many that do fight
         against me, O most High.

   3  When I'm afraid I'll trust in thee:
   4     In God I'll praise his word;
      I will not fear what flesh can do,
         my trust is in the Lord.

   5  Each day they wrest my words; their thoughts
         'gainst me are all for ill.
   6  They meet, they lurk, they mark my steps,
         waiting my soul to kill.

   7  But shall they by iniquity
         escape thy judgments so?
      O God, with indignation down
         do thou the people throw.

   8  My wand'rings all what they have been
         thou know'st, their number took;
      Into thy bottle put my tears:
         are they not in thy book?

   9  My foes shall, when I cry, turn back;
         I know't, God is for me.
  10  In God his word I'll praise; his word
         in God shall praised be.

  11  In God I trust; I will not fear
         what man can do to me.
  12  Thy vows upon me are, O God:
         I'll render praise to thee.

  13  Wilt thou not, who from death me saved,
         my feet from falls keep free,
      To walk before God in the light
         of those that living be?

Psalm 57.

   1  Be merciful to me, O God;
         thy mercy unto me
      Do thou extend; because my soul
         doth put her trust in thee:

      Yea, in the shadow of thy wings
         my refuge I will place,
      Until these sad calamities
         do wholly overpass.

   2  My cry I will cause to ascend
         unto the Lord most high;
      To God, who doth all things for me
         perform most perfectly.

   3  From heav'n he shall send down, and me
         from his reproach defend
      That would devour me: God his truth
         and mercy forth shall send.

   4  My soul among fierce lions is,
         I firebrands live among,
      Men's sons, whose teeth are spears and darts,
         a sharp sword is their tongue.

   5  Be thou exalted very high
         above the heav'ns, O God;
      Let thou thy glory be advanced
         o'er all the earth abroad.

   6  My soul's bowed down; for they a net
         have laid, my steps to snare:
      Into the pit which they have digged
         for me, they fallen are.

   7  My heart is fixed, my heart is fixed,
         O God; I'll sing and praise.
   8  My glory wake; wake psalt'ry, harp;
         myself I'll early raise.

   9  I'll praise thee 'mong the people, Lord;
         'mong nations sing will I:
  10  For great to heav'n thy mercy is,
         thy truth is to the sky.

  11  O Lord, exalted be thy name
         above the heav'ns to stand:
      Do thou thy glory far advance
         above both sea and land.

Psalm 58.

   1  Do ye, O congregation,
         indeed speak righteousness?
      O ye that are the sons of men,
         judge ye with uprightness?

   2  Yea, ev'n within your very hearts
         ye wickedness have done;
      And ye the vi'lence of your hands
         do weigh the earth upon.

   3  The wicked men estranged are,
         ev'n from the very womb;
      They, speaking lies, do stray as soon
         as to the world they come.

   4  Unto a serpent's poison like
         their poison doth appear;
      Yea, they are like the adder deaf,
         that closely stops her ear;

   5  That so she may not hear the voice
         of one that charm her would,
      No, not though he most cunning were,
         and charm most wisely could.

   6  Their teeth, O God, within their mouth
         break thou in pieces small;
      The great teeth break thou out, O Lord,
         of these young lions all.

   7  Let them like waters melt away,
         which downward still do flow:
      In pieces cut his arrows all,
         when he shall bend his bow.

   8  Like to a snail that melts away,
         let each of them be gone;
      Like woman's birth untimely, that
         they never see the sun.

   9  He shall them take away before
         your pots the thorns can find,
      Both living, and in fury great,
         as with a stormy wind.

  10  The righteous, when he vengeance sees,
         he shall be joyful then;
      The righteous one shall wash his feet
         in blood of wicked men.

  11  So men shall say, The righteous man
         reward shall never miss:
      And verily upon the earth
         a God to judge there is.

Psalm 59.

   1  My God, deliver me from those
         that are mine enemies;
      And do thou me defend from those
         that up against me rise.

   2  Do thou deliver me from them
         that work iniquity;
      And give me safety from the men
         of bloody cruelty.

   3  For, lo, they for my soul lay wait:
         the mighty do combine
      Against me, Lord; not for my fault,
         nor any sin of mine.

   4  They run, and, without fault in me,
         themselves do ready make:
      Awake to meet me with thy help;
         and do thou notice take.

   5  Awake therefore, Lord God of hosts,
         thou God of Israel,
      To visit heathen all: spare none
         that wickedly rebel.

   6  At ev'ning they go to and fro;
         they make great noise and sound,
      Like to a dog, and often walk
         about the city round.

   7  Behold, they belch out with their mouth,
         and in their lips are swords:
      For they do say thus, Who is he
         that now doth hear our words?

   8  But thou, O Lord, shalt laugh at them,
         and all the heathen mock.
   9  While he's in pow'r I'll wait on thee;
         for God is my high rock.

  10  He of my mercy that is God
         betimes shall me prevent;
      Upon mine en'mies God shall let
         me see mine heart's content.

  11  Them slay not, lest my folk forget;
         but scatter them abroad
      By thy strong pow'r; and bring them down,
         O thou our shield and God.

  12  For their mouth's sin, and for the words
         that from their lips do fly,
      Let them be taken in their pride;
         because they curse and lie.

  13  In wrath consume them, them consume,
         that so they may not be:
      And that in Jacob God doth rule
         to th' earth's ends let them see.

  14  At ev'ning let thou them return,
         making great noise and sound,
      Like to a dog, and often walk
         about the city round.

  15  And let them wander up and down,
         in seeking food to eat;
      And let them grudge when they shall not
         be satisfied with meat.

  16  But of thy pow'r I'll sing aloud;
         at morn thy mercy praise:
      For thou to me my refuge wast,
         and tow'r, in troublous days.

  17  O God, thou art my strength, I will
         sing praises unto thee;
      For God is my defense, a God
         of mercy unto me.

Psalm 60.

   1  O Lord, thou hast rejected us,
         and scattered us abroad;
      Thou justly hast displeased been;
         return to us, O God.

   2  The earth to tremble thou hast made;
         therein didst breaches make:
      Do thou thereof the breaches heal,
         because the land doth shake.

   3  Unto thy people thou hard things
         hast showed, and on them sent;
      And thou hast caused us to drink
         wine of astonishment.

   4  And yet a banner thou hast giv'n
         to them who thee do fear;
      That it by them, because of truth,
         displayed may appear.

   5  That thy beloved people may
         delivered be from thrall,
      Save with the pow'r of thy right hand,
         and hear me when I call.

   6  God in his holiness hath spoke;
         herein I will take pleasure:
      Shechem I will divide, and forth
         will Succoth's valley measure.

   7  Gilead I claim as mine by right;
         Manasseh mine shall be;
      Ephraim is of mine head the strength;
         Judah gives laws for me;

   8  Moab's my washing-pot; my shoe
         I'll over Edom throw;
      And over Palestina's land
         I will in triumph go.

   9  O who is he will bring me to
         the city fortified?
      O who is he that to the land
         of Edom will me guide?

  10  O God, which hadest us cast off,
         this thing wilt thou not do?
      Ev'n thou, O God, which didest not
         forth with our armies go?

  11  Help us from trouble; for the help
         is vain which man supplies.
  12  Through God we'll do great acts; he shall
         tread down our enemies.

Psalms 61-65

The Psalms Of David In Metre By The Church Of Scotland

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalms Of David In Metre Introduction

The Psalms Of David In Metre Table Of Contents

Psalms Of Isaac Watts And Psalms Of David Introduction