Psalms Of David 51-55 COS

 The

Psalms Of David

In Metre

According To

The Version

Approved By

The Church Of Scotland

And Appointed To Be Used In Worship. 

Psalm 51.

   1  After thy loving-kindness, Lord,
         have mercy upon me:
      For thy compassions great, blot out
         all mine iniquity.

   2  Me cleanse from sin, and thoroughly wash
         from mine iniquity:
   3  For my transgressions I confess;
         my sin I ever see.

   4  'Gainst thee, thee only, have I sinned,
         in thy sight done this ill;
      That when thou speak'st thou may'st be just,
         and clear in judging still.

   5  Behold, I in iniquity
         was formed the womb within;
      My mother also me conceived
         in guiltiness and sin.

   6  Behold, thou in the inward parts
         with truth delighted art;
      And wisdom thou shalt make me know
         within the hidden part.

   7  Do thou with hyssop sprinkle me,
         I shall be cleansed so;
      Yea, wash thou me, and then I shall
         be whiter than the snow.

   8  Of gladness and of joyfulness
         make me to hear the voice;
      That so these very bones which thou
         hast broken may rejoice.

   9  All mine iniquities blot out,
         thy face hide from my sin.
  10  Create a clean heart, Lord, renew
         a right sp'rit me within.

  11  Cast me not from thy sight, nor take
         thy Holy Sp'rit away.
  12  Restore me thy salvation's joy;
         with thy free Sp'rit me stay.

  13  Then will I teach thy ways unto
         those that transgressors be;
      And those that sinners are shall then
         be turned unto thee.

  14  O God, of my salvation God,
         me from blood-guiltiness
      Set free; then shall my tongue aloud
         sing of thy righteousness.

  15  My closed lips, O Lord, by thee
         let them be opened;
      Then shall thy praises by my mouth
         abroad be published.

  16  For thou desir'st not sacrifice,
         else would I give it thee;
      Nor wilt thou with burnt-offering
         at all delighted be.

  17  A broken spirit is to God
         a pleasing sacrifice:
      A broken and a contrite heart,
         Lord, thou wilt not despise.

  18  Show kindness, and do good, O Lord,
         to Zion, thine own hill:
      The walls of thy Jerusalem
         build up of thy good will.

  19  Then righteous off'rings shall thee please,
         and off'rings burnt, which they
      With whole burnt-off'rings, and with calves,
         shall on thine altar lay.

Psalm 52.

   1  Why dost thou boast, O mighty man,
         of mischief and of ill?
      The goodness of Almighty God
         endureth ever still.

   2  Thy tongue mischievous calumnies
         deviseth subtilely,
      Like to a razor sharp to cut,
         working deceitfully.

   3  Ill more than good, and more than truth
         thou lovest to speak wrong:
   4  Thou lovest all-devouring words,
         O thou deceitful tongue.

   5  So God shall thee destroy for aye,
         remove thee, pluck thee out
      Quite from thy house, out of the land
         of life he shall thee root.

   6  The righteous shall it see, and fear,
         and laugh at him they shall:
   7   Lo, this the man is that did not
         make God his strength at all:

      But he in his abundant wealth
         his confidence did place;
      And he took strength unto himself
         from his own wickedness.

   8  But I am in the house of God
         like to an olive green:
      My confidence for ever hath
         upon God's mercy been.

   9  And I for ever will thee praise,
         because thou hast done this:
      I on thy name will wait; for good
         before thy saints it is.

Psalm 53.

   1  That there is not a God, the fool
         doth in his heart conclude:
      They are corrupt, their works are vile,
         not one of them doth good.

   2  The Lord upon the sons of men
         from heav'n did cast his eyes,
      To see if any one there was
         that sought God, and was wise.

   3  They altogether filthy are,
         they all are backward gone;
      And there is none that doeth good,
         no, not so much as one.

   4  These workers of iniquity,
         do they not know at all,
      That they my people eat as bread,
         and on God do not call?

   5  Ev'n there they were afraid, and stood
         with trembling, all dismayed,
      Whereas there was no cause at all
         why they should be afraid:

      For God his bones that thee besieged
         hath scattered all abroad;
      Thou hast confounded them, for they
         despised are of God.

   6  Let Isr'el's help from Zion come:
         when back the Lord shall bring
      His captives, Jacob shall rejoice,
         and Israel shall sing.

Psalm 54.

   1  Save me, O God, by thy great name,
         and judge me by thy strength:
   2  My prayer hear, O God; give ear
         unto my words at length.

   3  For they that strangers are to me
         do up against me rise;
      Oppressors seek my soul, and God
         set not before their eyes.

   4  The Lord my God my helper is,
         lo, therefore I am bold:
      He taketh part with ev'ry one
         that doth my soul uphold.

   5  Unto mine enemies he shall
         mischief and ill repay:
      O for thy truth's sake cut them off,
         and sweep them clean away.

   6  I will a sacrifice to thee
         give with free willingness;
      Thy name, O Lord, because 'tis good,
         with praise I will confess.

   7  For he hath me delivered
         from all adversities;
      And his desire mine eye hath seen
         upon mine enemies.

Psalm 55.

   1  Lord, hear my pray'r, hide not thyself
         from my entreating voice:
   2  Attend and hear me; in my plaint
         I mourn and make a noise.

   3  Because of th' en'my's voice, and for
         lewd men's oppression great:
      On me they cast iniquity,
         and they in wrath me hate.

   4  Sore pained within me is my heart:
         death's terrors on me fall.
   5  On me comes trembling, fear and dread
         o'erwhelmed me withal.

   6  O that I, like a dove, had wings,
         said I, then would I flee
      Far hence, that I might find a place
         where I in rest might be.

   7  Lo, then far off I wander would,
         and in the desert stay;
   8  From windy storm and tempest I
         would haste to 'scape away.

   9  O Lord, on them destruction bring,
         and do their tongues divide;
      For in the city violence
         and strife I have espied.

  10  They day and night upon the walls
         do go about it round:
      There mischief is, and sorrow there
         in midst of it is found.

  11  Abundant wickedness there is
         within her inward part;
      And from her streets deceitfulness
         and guile do not depart.

  12  He was no foe that me reproached,
         then that endure I could;
      Nor hater that did 'gainst me boast,
         from him me hide I would.

  13  But thou, man, who mine equal, guide,
         and mine acquaintance wast:
  14  We joined sweet counsels, to God's house
         in company we past.

  15  Let death upon them seize, and down
         let them go quick to hell;
      For wickedness doth much abound
         among them where they dwell.

  16  I'll call on God: God will me save.
  17     I'll pray, and make a noise
       At ev'ning, morning, and at noon;
         and he shall hear my voice.

  18  He hath my soul delivered,
         that it in peace might be
      From battle that against me was;
         for many were with me.

  19  The Lord shall hear, and them afflict,
         of old who hath abode:
      Because they never changes have,
         therefore they fear not God.

  20  'Gainst those that were at peace with him
         he hath put forth his hand:
      The covenant that he had made,
         by breaking he profaned.

  21  More smooth than butter were his words,
         while in his heart was war;
      His speeches were more soft than oil,
         and yet drawn swords they are.

  22  Cast thou thy burden on the Lord,
         and he shall thee sustain;
      Yea, he shall cause the righteous man
         unmoved to remain.

  23  But thou, O Lord my God, those men
         in justice shalt o'erthrow,
      And in destruction's dungeon dark
         at last shalt lay them low:

      The bloody and deceitful men
         shall not live half their days:
      But upon thee with confidence
         I will depend always.

Psalms 56-60

The Psalms Of David In Metre By The Church Of Scotland

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalms Of David In Metre Introduction

The Psalms Of David In Metre Table Of Contents

Psalms Of Isaac Watts And Psalms Of David Introduction