Psalms Of David 141-145 COS

 The

Psalms Of David

In Metre

According To

The Version

Approved By

The Church Of Scotland

And Appointed To Be Used In Worship. 

Psalm 141.

 1  O Lord, I unto thee do cry,
       do thou make haste to me,
    And give an ear unto my voice,
       when I cry unto thee.

 2  As incense let my prayer be
       directed in thine eyes;
    And the uplifting of my hands
       as th' ev 'ning sacrifice.

 3  Set, Lord, a watch before my mouth,
       keep of my lips the door.
 4  My heart incline thou not unto
       the ills I should abhor,

    To practice wicked works with men
       that work iniquity;
    And with their delicates my taste
       let me not satisfy.

 5  Let him that righteous is me smite,
       it shall a kindness be;
    Let him reprove, I shall it count
       a precious oil to me:

    Such smiting shall not break my head;
       for yet the time shall fall,
    When I in their calamities
       to God pray for them shall.

 6  When as their judges down shall be
       in stony places cast,
    Then shall they hear my words; for they
       shall sweet be to their taste.

 7  About the grave's devouring mouth
       our bones are scattered round,
    As wood which men do cut and cleave
       lies scattered on the ground.

 8  But unto thee, O God the Lord,
       mine eyes uplifted be:
    My soul do not leave destitute;
       my trust is set on thee.

 9  Lord, keep me safely from the snares
       which they for me prepare;
    And from the subtle gins of them
       that wicked workers are.

10  Let workers of iniquity
       into their own nets fall,
    Whilst I do, by thine help, escape
       the danger of them all.

Psalm 142.

 1  I with my voice cried to the Lord,
       with it made my request:
 2  Poured out to him my plaint, to him
       my trouble I expressed.

 3  When in me was o'erwhelmed my sp'rit,
       then well thou knew'st my way;
    Where I did walk a snare for me
       they privily did lay.

 4  I looked on my right hand, and viewed,
       but none to know me were;
    All refuge failed me, no man
       did for my soul take care.

 5  I cried to thee; I said, Thou art
       my refuge, Lord, alone;
    And in the land of those that live
       thou art my portion.

 6  Because I am brought very low,
       attend unto my cry:
    Me from my persecutors save,
       who stronger are than I.

 7  From prison bring my soul, that I
       thy name may glorify:
    The just shall compass me, when thou
       with me deal'st bounteously.

Psalm 143 - First Version.

 1  Lord, hear my pray'r, attend my suits;
       and in thy faithfulness
    Give thou an answer unto me,
       and in thy righteousness.

 2  Thy servant also bring thou not
       in judgment to be tried:
    Because no living man can be
       in thy sight justified.

 3  For th' en'my hath pursued my soul,
       my life to ground down tread:
    In darkness he hath made me dwell,
       as who have long been dead.

 4  My sp'rit is therefore overwhelmed
       in me perplexedly;
    Within me is my very heart
       amazed wondrously.

 5  I call to mind the days of old,
       to meditate I use
    On all thy works; upon the deeds
       I of thy hands do muse.

 6  My hands to thee I stretch; my soul
       thirsts, as dry land, for thee.
 7  Haste, Lord, to hear, my spirit fails:
       hide not thy face from me;

    Lest like to them I do become
       that go down to the dust.
 8  At morn let me thy kindness hear;
       for in thee do I trust.

    Teach me the way that I should walk:
       I lift my soul to thee.
 9  Lord, free me from my foes; I flee
       to thee to cover me.

10  Because thou art my God, to do
       thy will do me instruct:
    Thy Sp'rit is good, me to the land
       of uprightness conduct.

11  Revive and quicken me, O Lord,
       ev'n for thine own name's sake;
    And do thou, for thy righteousness,
       my soul from trouble take.

12  And of thy mercy slay my foes;
       let all destroyed be
    That do afflict my soul: for I
       a servant am to thee.

Psalm 143 - Second Version.

 1  Oh, hear my prayer, Lord,
       And unto my desire
    To bow thine ear accord,
       I humbly thee require;
    And, in thy faithfulness,
       Unto me answer make,
    And, in thy righteousness,
       Upon me pity take.

 2  In judgment enter not
       With me thy servant poor;
    For why, this well I wot,
       No sinner can endure
    The sight of thee, O God:
       If thou his deeds shalt try,
    He dare make none abode
       Himself to justify.

 3  Behold, the cruel foe
       Me persecutes with spite,
    My soul to overthrow:
       Yea, he my life down quite
    Unto the ground hath smote,
       And made me dwell full low
    In darkness, as forgot,
       Or men dead long ago.

 4  Therefore my sp'rit much vexed,
       O'erwhelmed is me within;
    My heart right sore perplexed
       And desolate hath been.
 5  Yet I do call to mind
       What ancient days record,
    Thy works of ev'ry kind
       I think upon, O Lord.

 6  Lo, I do stretch my hands
       To thee, my help alone;
    For thou well understands
       All my complaint and moan:
    My thirsting soul desires,
       And longeth after thee,
    As thirsty ground requires
       With rain refreshed to be.

 7  Lord, let my pray'r prevail,
       To answer it make speed;
    For, lo, my sp'rit doth fail:
       Hide not thy face in need;
    Lest I be like to those
       That do in darkness sit,
    Or him that downward goes
       Into the dreadful pit.

 8  Because I trust in thee,
       O Lord, cause me to hear
    Thy loving-kindness free,
       When morning doth appear:
    Cause me to know the way
       Wherein my path should be;
    For why, my soul on high
       I do lift up to thee.

 9  From my fierce enemy
       In safety do me guide,
    Because I flee to thee,
       Lord, that thou may'st me hide.
10  My God alone art thou,
       Teach me thy righteousness:
    Thy Sp'rit's good, lead me to
       The land of uprightness.

11  O Lord, for thy name's sake,
       Be pleased to quicken me;
    And, for thy truth, forth take
       My soul from misery.
12  And of thy grace destroy
       My foes, and put to shame
    All who my soul annoy;
       For I thy servant am.

Psalm 144.

 1  O blessed ever be the Lord,
       who is my strength and might,
    Who doth instruct my hands to war,
       my fingers teach to fight.

 2  My goodness, fortress, my high tow'r,
       deliverer, and shield,
    In whom I trust: who under me
       my people makes to yield.

 3  Lord, what is man, that thou of him
       dost so much knowledge take?
    Or son of man, that thou of him
       so great account dost make?

 4  Man is like vanity; his days,
       as shadows, pass away.
 5  Lord, bow thy heav'ns, come down,
       touch thou the hills, and smoke shall they.

 6  Cast forth thy lightning, scatter them;
       thine arrows shoot, them rout.
 7  Thine hand send from above, me save;
       from great depths draw me out;

    And from the hand of children strange,
 8     Whose mouth speaks vanity;
    And their right hand is a right hand
       that works deceitfully.

 9  A new song I to thee will sing,
       Lord, on a psaltery;
    I on a ten-stringed instrument
       will praises sing to thee.

10  Ev'n he it is that unto kings
       salvation doth send;
    Who his own servant David doth
       from hurtful sword defend.

11  O free me from strange children's hand,
       whose mouth speaks vanity;
    And their right hand a right hand is
       that works deceitfully.

12  That, as the plants, our sons may be
       in youth grown up that are;
    Our daughters like to corner-stones,
       carved like a palace fair.

13  That to afford all kind of store
       our garners may be filled;
    That our sheep thousands, in our streets
       ten thousands they may yield.

14  That strong our oxen be for work,
       that no in-breaking be,
    Nor going out; and that our streets
       may from complaints be free.

15  Those people blessed are who be
       in such a case as this;
    Yea, blessed all those people are,
       whose God Jehovah is.

Psalm 145 - First Version.

  1  I'll thee extol, my God, O King;
        I'll bless thy name always.
  2  Thee will I bless each day, and will
        thy name for ever praise.

  3  Great is the Lord, much to be praised;
        his greatness search exceeds.
  4  Race unto race shall praise thy works,
        and show thy mighty deeds.

  5  I of thy glorious majesty
        the honor will record;
     I'll speak of all thy mighty works,
        which wondrous are, O Lord.

  6  Men of thine acts the might shall show,
        thine acts that dreadful are;
     And I, thy glory to advance,
        thy greatness will declare.

  7  The mem'ry of thy goodness great
        they largely shall express;
     With songs of praise they shall extol
        thy perfect righteousness.

  8  The Lord is very gracious,
        in him compassions flow;
     In mercy he is very great,
        and is to anger slow.

  9  The Lord Jehovah unto all
        his goodness doth declare;
     And over all his other works
        his tender mercies are.

 10  Thee all thy works shall praise, O Lord,
        and thee thy saints shall bless;
 11  They shall thy kingdom's glory show,
        thy pow'r by speech express:

 12  To make the sons of men to know
        his acts done mightily,
     And of his kingdom th' excellent
        and glorious majesty.

 13  Thy kingdom shall for ever stand,
        thy reign through ages all.
 14  God raiseth all that are bowed down,
        upholdeth all that fall.

 15  The eyes of all things wait on thee,
        the giver of all good;
     And thou, in time convenient,
        bestow'st on them their food:

 16  Thine hand thou open'st lib'rally,
        and of thy bounty gives
     Enough to satisfy the need
        of ev'ry thing that lives.

 17  The Lord is just in all his ways,
        holy in his works all.
 18  God's near to all that call on him,
        in truth that on him call.

 19  He will accomplish the desire
        of those that do him fear:
     He also will deliver them,
        and he their cry will hear.

 20  The Lord preserves all who him love,
        that naught can them annoy:
     But he all those that wicked are
        will utterly destroy.

 21  My mouth the praises of the Lord
        to publish cease shall never:
     Let all flesh bless his holy name
        for ever and for ever.

   Psalm 145 - Second Version.

  1  O Lord, thou art my God and King;
        Thee will I magnify and praise:
     I will thee bless, and gladly sing
        Unto thy holy name always.

  2  Each day I rise I will thee bless,
        And praise thy name time without end.
  3  Much to be praised, and great God is;
        His greatness none can comprehend.

  4  Race shall thy works praise unto race,
        The mighty acts show done by thee.
  5  I will speak of the glorious grace,
        And honor of thy majesty;

     Thy wondrous works I will record.
  6     By men the might shall be extolled
     Of all thy dreadful acts, O Lord:
        And I thy greatness will unfold.

  7  They utter shall abundantly
        The mem'ry of thy goodness great;
     And shall sing praises cheerfully,
        Whilst they thy righteousness relate.

  8  The Lord our God is gracious,
        Compassionate is he also;
     In mercy he is plenteous,
        But unto wrath and anger slow.

  9  Good unto all men is the Lord:
        O'er all his works his mercy is.
 10  Thy works all praise to thee afford:
        Thy saints, O Lord, thy name shall bless.

 11  The glory of thy kingdom show
        Shall they, and of thy power tell:
 12  That so men's sons his deeds may know,
        His kingdom's grace that doth excel.

 13  Thy kingdom hath none end at all,
        It doth through ages all remain.
 14  The Lord upholdeth all that fall,
        The cast-down raiseth up again.

 15  The eyes of all things, Lord, attend,
        And on thee wait that here do live,
     And thou, in season due, dost send
        Sufficient food them to relieve.

 16  Yea, thou thine hand dost open wide,
        And ev'ry thing dost satisfy
     That lives, and doth on earth abide,
        Of thy great liberality.

 17  The Lord is just in his ways all,
        And holy in his works each one.
 18  He's near to all that on him call,
        Who call in truth on him alone.

 19  God will the just desire fulfill
        Of such as do him fear and dread:
     Their cry regard, and hear he will,
        And save them in the time of need.

 20  The Lord preserves all, more and less,
        That bear to him a loving heart:
     But workers all of wickedness
        Destroy will he, and clean subvert.

 21  Therefore my mouth and lips I'll frame
        To speak the praises of the Lord:
     To magnify his holy name
        For ever let all flesh accord.

Psalms 146-150

The Psalms Of David In Metre By The Church Of Scotland

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalms Of David In Metre Introduction

The Psalms Of David In Metre Table Of Contents

Psalms Of Isaac Watts And Psalms Of David Introduction